Sunday Morning Subtle But Obvious Organized Self Abuse Swim Club

I have a lot of memories, I seem to not be able to shut up the monkey mind, I over analyze. I now get to do all that while learning to type.

Saturday, May 31, 2008

We rule, all others drool

Here, so that all may look upon and envy, the cool kids who played the game, (and because I have nothing cogent or scintillating to say other wise), is the awesome play list(s) of SwimClub Radio Volume 1.
For those who may have just tuned in; the idea was to make a disc of ones all time favouritest or most representative of ones musical soul at this time, to intrigue and edify the other players.

I think that worked quite well. The disparity is fascinating to me. I love that.

I also find it really interesting that of the ones that didn't have a particular theme like DJ Barry's did, the two artists that made two different lists were, David Bowie and Siouxsie Sioux. That is just odd. Although had I had just a smitch more room Donovan would have also been in that category with his song "Ferris Wheel". I suppose technically Frank Black also made that distinction as he is represented both with The Catholics and The Pixies. So that is four artists who can make the interesting slide between so many different tastes.

DJ Barry's disc was really, really cool for me as I never heard a single thing on it previously. I really tripped out on "Las Lomas de New Jersey". I also liked "Patricia" a lot. It is ultimately playable, and I'm thinking it may just be one of the soundtracks for Oliver's 40th birthday dinner next weekend.
DJ Nigel's was really good for me as well, as he is an expert on a whole era of music I completely missed - The '90's. Seems I am always either 400 hundred years, or a decade or so, behind the 8 ball musically. It was only last year that I discovered Bach after all. And it had The Cramps on it, 'nuff said.
DJ UBU's was a study in classics. I think everybody said something about liking the Beachboys tune. I had never heard the John Cale piece before so that was a treat. Albeit as usual with Cale, a challenging one. I had also never heard the Springsteen before and it totally justifies why I am always having to say to people who are music snobbing on him, that they just don't know him from before.
DJ Oliver, I think, (prejudicially of course) just has marvelous musical taste. I can always count on him to keep me pulling forward into the future because as you can see from mine-
DJ Stella's, I have a tendency to stay firmly mired in the late 20th century, especially the 60's, 70's and 80's. So even though I know people have heard my selections (with the possible exception of Flirt) a zillion times, I think my segues and transitions make it all fresh again. At least that was my hope. And I can tell you that it is as good a representation of my musical soul as anyone may ever see. Well except for volume II which I have already been working on!

So without further ado:

Swim Club Radio: DJ Stella Magdalen

1) The Avengers Theme - The Laurie Johnson Orchestra
2) What'cha See Is What You Get - The Dramatics
3) Cherry Bomb - Joan Jett
4) Eight line poem - David Bowie
5) Cissy Strut - The Meters
6) Degenerator - Flirt
7) Valleri - The Monkees
8) Think About Your Troubles - Nilsson
9) Sex & Drugs & Rock n Roll - Ian Drury
10) The Old Main Drag - The Pogues
11) Mirror In the Bathroom - The English Beat
12) Over At The Frankenstein Place - Rocky Horror Soundtrack
13) Fire - Ohio Players
15) Blank Generation - Richard Hell & the Voidoids
16) Scarecrow - Pink Floyd
17) Soldier’s Things - Tom Waits
18) Spellbound - Siouxsie and The Banshees
20) Five ‘O’ Clock World - The Vogues
21) Jungle Boogie - Kool & The Gang
22) Art-I-Ficial - X Ray Spex
23) Piece Of My Heart - Erma Franklin
24) Is It My Body? - Alice Cooper
25) World Destruction - Time Zone
26) Feeling Good - Nina Simone
27) Salt Of The Earth - The Rolling Stones

Swim Club Radio: DJ Oliver Blades

1) Free Man - Awesome Color
2) Ghost Highway - Mazzy Star
3) Set You Free - The Black Keys
4) Empire - The Black Angels
5) Roi - The Breeders
6) Heart Of Snow - Black Mountain
7) Where Is My Mind? - The Pixies
8) Beyond The Fields We Know - Dead Meadow
9) The Desperate Kingdom Of Love - P. J. Harvey
10) Spaceboy - Smashing Pumpkins
11) Where Eagles Have Been - Wolfmother
12) Looking Out A Mirror - The Ponys
13) There Is An End - The Greenhornes
14) Broken Boy Soldier - The Raconteurs
15) Theresa’s Sound World - Sonic Youth
16) Introduction 17) Frustrating Sound - Radio Moscow
18) Different Stars - Trespassers William

Swim Club Radio: DJ Nigel Patel

1) Vampeeee 2) Silver Turkey - Buffalo Daughter
3) 5 Years Ahead of My Time - The Cramps
4) Sister Madly - Crowded House
5) From Chapel Hill - Tam Hart
6) Dean’s Dream - The Dead Milkmen
7) Feeling Numb - The Fall
8) Chip Away Boy - Frank Black & The Catholics
9) Pop Scene - Blur
10) Together - Suede
11) Tether - Indigo Girls
12) Thoughtforms - Lush
13) Walk Out - Matthew Sweet
14) Must Believe - Sarah Dougher
15) Burn-Up - Siouxsie and the Banshees
16) I Don’t Wanna Be Your Man - Sherman Electric
17) Your Stripes - Buffalo Tom
18) Two Beads At The End - Minute Men
19) Cowbirds - Throwing Muses
20) Light Years - Sloan
21) Nightmare Stampede - Split Enz

Swim Club radio: DJ Barry

1) Buenos Hermanos - Ibrahim Ferrer
2) Caballo Viejo - Ry Cooder & Manuel Galban
3) El Divorcio - Marc Ribot & Los Cubanos Postizos
4) Guanqanco‘ Callejero - Ibrahim Ferrer
5) Jaguey - Marc Ribot & Los Cubanos Postizos
6) La Luna En Tu Mirada - Ry Cooder & Manuel Galban
7) Las Lomas de New Jersey - Marc Ribot & Los Cubanos Postizos
8) Mil Congojas - Ibrahim Ferrer
9) No Puedo Freinar - Marc Ribot & Los Cubanos Postizos
10) Oye El Consejo - Ibrahim Ferrer
11) Patricia - Ry Cooder & Manuel Galban
12) Perfume de Gardenia - Ibrahim Ferrer
13) Secret Love - Ry Cooder & Manuel Galban

Swim Club Radio: DJ UBU

1) Ghost Song - The Doors
2) Sweet Jane - Lou Reed
3) Captain Hook - John Cale
4) High Heeled Sneakers - Jerry Lee Lewis
5) Pineola - Lucinda Williams
6) No Surrender - Bruce Springsteen
7) Laughing - Pere Ubu
8) Insight - Joy Division
9) We Are All Prostitutes - The Pop Group
10) (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais - The Clash
11) Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks
12) We Are The Dead - David Bowie
13) Catch The Wind - Donovan
14) ‘Til I Die - The Beach Boys
15) Chicklets - The Patti Smith Group

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 5/31/2008 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, this was a fantastic project...right now I'm ultra digging on DJ Oliver's platter, which is fresh to me...that beach boys tune is an alternate edit done by an engineer where he repeated the intro twice but was rejected by the boys only to turn up on a rarities disc...

 
At 5/31/2008 12:41 PM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

Well start thinking about volume II as well then. Nigel and I already have been...

Yes Mr Man has a really good sense of it. He basically took a whole bunch of time checking out a million new bands on myspace and found people like Dead Meadow (who we both love) and then a bunch of those others. I just don't understand why they all have to have black in their name though.

He also got me to actually like Jack White with that "broken boy soldier thing" I was seriously prejudiced against him before.

 
At 5/31/2008 4:08 PM, Blogger Watson Woodworth said...

I was noticing the Black-in-the-band-name thing.
Makes mw want to come up with a mix of bands with colors in their names.
Would Rainbow count?

 
At 6/01/2008 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kim deal is on two songs!

i'm enjoying the study of everybody's
mixes. eclectic.

barry

 

Post a Comment

<< Home