Sunday Morning Subtle But Obvious Organized Self Abuse Swim Club

I have a lot of memories, I seem to not be able to shut up the monkey mind, I over analyze. I now get to do all that while learning to type.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Mama don't let your babies grow up to eat fructose (corn syrup)

I am not convinced that Chalupa is a real word. And anyway I have a rule about Taco Bell which is, that if you’ve spent more than 2 dollars including a drink you’re eating too much Taco Bell.
I’ve already bitched about chipotle, I’m so very F’ing sick of hearing about which things have chipotle in them.

I have added a new food rule to my regimen. This is a big deal as I have had essentially the same food rules since about 19. Which are basically- avoid chemicals, and if it’s going inside my body try to make it top of the line.
(As opposed to say, clothing, which I get at the thrift store.) Thats not just food, it’s cigarettes, alcohol, anything that goes in.

The new food rule is try to avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup. This is REALLY hard. Fricking everything has it now. I had to give away my ketchup, my favourite BBQ sauce, and all kinds of other products and go back to making my own bread.

If you read ingredients in the US, you’ll find it everywhere. And I’m convinced that it is absolute devil/evil. The body can’t process it properly and it’s the cheapest, nastiest sweetener ever (yet). I always prefer the known toxins like nice cane or beet sugar, nicotine etc.

The cool thing is, every now and then if I really, really want a soda I can get a Mexican made soda with pure cane sugar at Big Ten Market. Cuz three or four times a year I just really want a Cola over a ton of ice with a half a lemon squeezed into it. Thank god that for the chocolate fixation I can fairly easily find high quality chocolate with out the devil in it.

But the BBQ sauce conundrum is really bad, I LOVE my BBQ sauce and I’m very picky about it. I really don’t know what will ever replace my Sweet Baby Ray’s. I’m sad. There’s got to be something decent out there, but I hate it when I try something, it doesn’t measure up and I’m left with a bunch of bottles of dissatisfaction rolling around the fridge. I’m so sad I haven’t even BBQ’d yet this year.

3 Comments:

At 5/23/2006 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I celebrate this move with you. HFCS directly contributes to diabetes and insulin resistence. It changes the metabolism and how theliver stores energy. It contributes to obesity. Our epidemic of fat is directly linked to this evil product -- a cheap substitute for real sugar and fat. Let me know if you want to be on my bread list -- when I bake I give away three loaves to alternating people -- but it is very whole grain.
Look at a health food store for BBQ sauce. Ask for some at your favorite rib joint. Research recipes on teh web. There are lots of goodones, and they contain better ingredients -- obviously.
Love Amy's organic ketchup.I think it is honey sweetened.
Avalon Bread made in Detroit has soe fabulous part white bread that is well worth the price. Blue sky soda is free of HFCS, stil lhas phosphorous (bone density issue) but as a treat better than the plain stuff. 7 up is advertising they are "all natural" but I don't know what their definition is.
Good move!
-sister (of course...)

 
At 5/23/2006 9:23 PM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

Yes I will eventually find a BBQ sauce I can live with, but can I give you all the the bottles of dissapointment I collect in between?
And really I'm not much for the soda so it's mostly a non issue, just the triannual coke which I won't worry about phosphorous for.

 
At 5/24/2006 10:24 PM, Blogger Watson Woodworth said...

If you buy Coke bottled in Mexico, in the glass bottles usually sold in little party stores, it's made with sugar rather than HFCS.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home