Sunday Morning Subtle But Obvious Organized Self Abuse Swim Club

I have a lot of memories, I seem to not be able to shut up the monkey mind, I over analyze. I now get to do all that while learning to type.

Monday, December 24, 2007

Sleep Tight

I have what they call in the biz, fairly good sleep hygiene. Well ok, there are few knots. I wake up too much during the night and I do “stuff” in bed other than sleep. But when it comes to waking up, I’m a champ. I almost always wake up within a 45 minute span right around 7 am. No matter how late I went to bed (up till 3am anyway) or how drunk I got last night. That’s right baby, I got smashed last night. Woke right up at 7. Took a couple ibuprofen and I’m now having my cuppa tay.

See, really, at heart, I’m a big old drunk. It’s just that now I only let that girl out every four years or so. I love getting drunk. I’m not so fond of the three to four days it now takes me to recover when I get as drunk as I can though. Which is why last night was a total baby drunk (despite the seeming enormity of 17 glasses of champagne and a shot of fantastic vodka). As soon as I realized I was smashed I went home and made myself puke. In the old days it would have been time to start really drinking.

I never had such a penchant for drink until I used it to get off a much worse habit. Then I really hit my stride. I think what is so appealing about it is, that all the other drugs make me think really, really, hard. Alcohol makes me really, really stupid. When you live with a crazy busy, chattering, incessant, monkey mind it is really fun to essentially flip a switch and turn it off occasionally.

When I’m drunk I turn into Brother Martin. This is what the Rom traditionally called their dancing bears. I am slightly obsessed with Brother Martin, he shows up in my songs and poetry on a semi-regular basis. That’s because he is me and I am him. Along with spiders he’s one of my totemic folk.
Here’s a piece of a piece about him:

Brother Martin waltzes on the boulevard
Brother Martin waltzes gathering a crowd
for shiny, careless, pennies wrested from the mob
Brother Martin dances to the cymbalom.

If you think about it, blogging is totally a Brother Martin-ish thing to do.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 12/24/2007 12:28 PM, Blogger barry schorfhaar said...

happy hangover baby jesus birthday drinky eve!

i had a hangover yestiddy. drank heartily
at biscuit ron's where archie o'connor met me
in the kitchen with a snort of 150 dollar tequila. 2
cosmos, wine, guinness, more tequila, and some pbr when beth and briget got me home where i chattered at the dog relentlessly all put the ice cream scoop to
my noggin but it seems to have frightened the cold virus away. i'll feel better tomorrow prolly.

i use to behave like this 6 nights outta 7.

sweet jaysus.

extra cinnamon in the oats yo.

barry

 
At 12/25/2007 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I slowly got disenchanted with sacred fermented beverages as I became more aware of my mental workings I started realizing how stupid it made me -- and totally lost my love when I was working in a parking booth in grad school outside a comedy club -- when you're sober drunk people are so ugly...

 
At 12/25/2007 11:53 AM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

Well the thing of the Boozy Mess Club is, that it's only fun when you're an active member in good standing. So I let mine expire. Then I spent too many evenings being the watcher, shooo dang does it get Fugly. I avoid it like crazy now.

This is why I'm a special occasion, use it for the medicinal purpose, boozer now. Sometimes I get so, so, stressed. I desperately just needs to get bacchanal and pop my cork. Despite the puking and feeling a tad woozy yesterday I was so much more relaxed and less tense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home