Sunday Morning Subtle But Obvious Organized Self Abuse Swim Club

I have a lot of memories, I seem to not be able to shut up the monkey mind, I over analyze. I now get to do all that while learning to type.

Friday, February 17, 2006

Oh boy, time for another diatribe

I am informed via Maproom Systems and subsequently Ypsidixit, that Ypsilanti is seriously considering phasing out public bus service. This sucks. As if our little neck of the woods wasn’t already heading down the tubes at an insane rate.

I have always thought that keeping an eye on the relationship between Ypsi and Ann Arbor was likely to be a good indicator of the realities of socioeconomic status.

Well, it’s like watching your siblings family get the economic shaft, knowing their kids are starving, and discussing what a shame that is around your own groaning board, while little Muffy comes bouncing in from her tennis lesson.

The dependancy on bus service is, I suspect much more intense in Ypsi. Not for buzzing downtown and avoiding parking while you shop. But for school, work, and medicine. For many, there is not any alternative available. Not like here, where for most people you’re merely being gently urged not to drive one of your three or four family cars.

You’all know I take the bus everyday. This is because I don’t and won’t drive. I have a car, I leave it here for Oliver to use. I don’t want to drive it, especially out to school everyday and have it sit in the really crowded lot, and have him stuck at home with all his appointments and crap to get to which until some future devastation are harder to get to on AATA than me going virtually straight to school and back on “the ride”.

I see hundreds of students from Ypsi relying on the bus everyday to go to school to try to change their socioeconomic status. I also have this plan to transfer to EMU. That would be fucked with no bus service.

So the upshot is there is a online petition, presented with the idea that cutting bus service in Ypsi will only serve to further devastate their fraying infrastructure by negatively affecting the rate of new home buyers, by destroying the livelihoods and the ability of a large chunk of the most vulnerable population to shop, take their children to daycare, and get medical attention other than ER etc.
The petition is here-
http://www.ypsidixit.com/blog/
As you know, I can’t hyper link despite the good intentions of NigelPatel and MakeTeaNot War in attempting to teach me how. But really, is it that hard to cut and paste in order to help your sisters and brothers not lose their essential services? It’s easier than pulling out your wallet or going down to the shelter to volunteer. Or bringing them to your table.

2 Comments:

At 2/17/2006 5:28 PM, Blogger Watson Woodworth said...

I have always thought that the bus systems in these two little sister/big sister cities really distinguished them from Metro Detroit.
To actually defy mother Big Three and have a public transit system.

I think I stuck with factory work because I lack the cojones for the starving student life.
I want Arrowwood to be my only taste of hard poverty.

I'm definately signing that petition.

 
At 2/17/2006 5:43 PM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

Cool I seed ya there. Thanks. I'm going to (hopefully) take a fascimile to school and increase the pressure from there

 

Post a Comment

<< Home