Sunday Morning Subtle But Obvious Organized Self Abuse Swim Club

I have a lot of memories, I seem to not be able to shut up the monkey mind, I over analyze. I now get to do all that while learning to type.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

My mission, should I choose to accept it


Earworm Radio:
Here Comes Your Man - The Pixies

I’ve noticed so many people taking “blogging” breaks or just disappearing altogether. It makes me wonder what happens to burn them out?

It could be that job and/or social pressures are too much.

It could be that they are not getting the recognition they deserve or feel they deserve.

It could be that they feel dried up or something.

My attitude is this:
OK, yes, I’m somewhat in it for the false sense of fame. But I do try to keep some perspective. This is for writing. I’ve always tried to keep journals and was terrible at it. Yet I seem to be able to sustain my interest this way far longer than I’ve ever been able to previously. As long as I’m entertained it should be good enough.

That’s all that I can write for anyway, since I have absolutely no ability to have any perspective on my writing - I go only by the measure of “am I entertaining myself?” and so far the answer is generally yes.

One of the best compliments I’ve ever received is - “it doesn’t make me cringe”.
I’m not being facetious, that was a top notch compliment to me, because there is so much that makes me cringe also.

One of my acquaintances (who obviously must be nameless) has won awards and kudos, and yet every time I read their work I just grit my teeth and don’t say what I really think. I’m pretty sure it’s not good. But I have to suppose that if it’s entertaining them, then it has good in it. It does have some good for me, because I think “ if they can do that, then I most certainly can”.

I started to get bummed out because my readership has gone from infinitesimal to almost non existent, but then I just reminded myself that this is just another facet of the great experiment:
A) Can I maintain a steady schedule of writing?
B) Can I continue to practice? Using the writing of papers, writing the songs and poetry, and writing here, to do what I’m told a writer is supposed to do, spending quite a bit of time writing, and also editing myself.
C) Can I capture some of my crazy, crazy memories and get them written down and collected?

And the pictures, they are meant to have a purpose also.

2 Comments:

At 2/11/2006 5:14 PM, Blogger Watson Woodworth said...

I have noticed that in times of torment otherwise called "growth" I post more often. When I renamed the blog this time last year I started writing twice daily.
I must admit that knowing that others sometimes read me has helped me to keep going. They're encouraging my behavior and providing much needed feedback to a person who, let's face it, seeks validation.
I always had loads of notebooks going full of essays that nobody would end up reading but now it's like they've taken wing.

 
At 2/11/2006 6:47 PM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

I checked out some of your stuff on that other blog as well, the one with Make Tea, it was good, except the whole blogs concept is probably a little over my head.
I have intense politics but I don't really know exactly why I believe what I believe. When it comes to that stuff, I'm flying on sheer intuition, I look at them and see whether I think they're evil or ineffective or stupid.
The same with social constructs, I just think I know when they are malignant or helpful or so obfuscated as to be unsensible.

It's really awfully kind of you to be as consistently supportive and chatty as you are. I suspect that it has helped keep me out of the blog doldrums, probably more than you know. After all, who doesn't seek validation?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home