Sunday Morning Subtle But Obvious Organized Self Abuse Swim Club

I have a lot of memories, I seem to not be able to shut up the monkey mind, I over analyze. I now get to do all that while learning to type.

Monday, February 06, 2006

The thing about the crows.

Earworm Radio today:
Sunrise - The Bottom 99

Last night I was sitting here with the curtains still open around dusk. I noticed that the crows were back and watched what I thought was the smaller, offshoot, murder wheel around in a seemingly desultory fashion for quite awhile.
Then Oliver looked out the front and commented that “There’s so many of them that some of the trees look fully leafed”.
I got up to see, and once I could see a bigger chunk of sky, I realized that we had the whole 400 to 500 of them trying to roost across the street. I jumped up and grabbed one of the zillion sweaters laying around and went out to the porch.

It was purely nuts. There were crows everywhere. Four trees were covered, with hundreds still in the sky. Then a good portion moved to the other side of the street and started settling in, when I heard my neighbor come yelling and banging out of his back door and the whole dang flock took wing at once. The noise was spectacular. The sight was amazing, a little creepy, but mostly very awe inspiring.

There is a neat book called “Bird Brains” by Candace somebody (Wallace maybe?) that I read when I was working at the tattoo studio, primarily about corvids and how interesting they are. Subsequently, even though birds kind of freak me out, I think corvids are really, very cool.

4 Comments:

At 2/06/2006 7:59 PM, Blogger Watson Woodworth said...

I heard on NPR that crow's brains are a similar size percentage to humans than any other bird.

 
At 2/06/2006 8:12 PM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

Man, you're quick on the uptake, I couldn't even get blogspot to recognize the post until now....

Corvids have these, kind of elaborate, social structures. They have stuff like Nanny birds and teen gangs, and some of them can obtain a decent little human language vocabulary.
They are probably the best of birds, although Macaws are interesting But alledgedly mean too.

Hey, you know I grew up in Ithaca didn't you? You were practically in my old stompin' grounds.

 
At 2/06/2006 8:47 PM, Blogger Watson Woodworth said...

I've actually been thinking about Ithica. When I'm not thinking about Portland, Oregon.
But if I went with Ithica there'd be people an hour and a half away I could mooch off of if things went bad.

 
At 2/07/2006 5:44 AM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

When I think about moving away, I think about Seattle and Ithaca.
The difference being that I could potentially afford Ithaca.

It is so beautiful in both places...

I'm not sure what industry they have these days around Ithaca though. There are a lot of depressed areas right around there. Hmmm...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home