Sunday Morning Subtle But Obvious Organized Self Abuse Swim Club

I have a lot of memories, I seem to not be able to shut up the monkey mind, I over analyze. I now get to do all that while learning to type.

Monday, August 14, 2006

Taking a meme for the team

1. First movie you remember seeing on the big screen:
“Run Appaloosa Run”. We used to go to the drive-in in our old Plymouth Valiant wagon. I was usually mostly passed out in the back-back so I can just remember snips of various Disney movies. But I distinctly remember being completely awake, involved and in a real theatre for “Fantasia”

2. Movie you can quote multiple lines in your sleep:
“Repo Man”, “The Princess Bride”, “Total Recall”, “Paper Moon”, most Japanese monster movies and Roger Corman flicks.

3. Director dead or alive you would most like to have diner with:
I have no clue. I am not a movie person. I’ll stretch it and say Andy Warhol since he made movies as well. If it has to be a “real” director maybe that woman, Joy somebody, that made the movie about Henry Barger

4. Movie that should have won an Oscar but didn't:
Uhhh yeah

5. Movie that didn't disappoint despite being an adaptation of a book:
Hmmm

6. Movie you were dragged to by someone else, expecting to hate but which you loved:
“The Sting”. My Dad took me and it was probably way out of my league since I was 9 at the time, but I got it and I loved it

7. Movie that scared the crap out of you no matter how many times you see it:
Really hard because most scary movies have enough camp to make them ineffective especially after a while, but a few that have a couple just genuinely creepy moments that don’t go away- “The Exorcist III”, “Prince Of Darkness”, “Suspiria”, “Night Of The Living Dead”.

8. Movie that makes you bawl no matter how many times you see it:
“Imitation Of Life”. The scene with Mahalia Jackson is really cool.

9. Movie that still has you rolling on the floor with laughter no matter how many times you've see it:
Well I’ll use this to talk about what I really wanted to mention which is one of my favourite scenes ever in a movie. In “The War of the Gargantuas”, which is one of my favourite Japanese movies, there is a scene in a nightclub in the round by the ocean. This redheaded howlee is singing a song (later covered by Devo) About how “the words get stuck in my throat” when suddenly green gargantua appears in the opening to the terrace, snatches her up, eats her, then spits out her evening gown like an owl pellet. It just kills me dead every time.
I also love in “The World Of Henry Orient” when at the very end Val says;
“I’ve always wanted a mouth like a crimson gash”,
delightful early 60’s naivete.

But I have a tendency to laugh at really inappropriate times. Like in Beetlejuice when whatshername turns into a skeleton and her head falls off. Or at some big dramatic moment where everyone else is completely caught up and it just strikes me as so fake and ridiculous that I laugh. I just am not a good candidate for movies in the theatre, I am rarely swept up in it. It’s similar to being the one at the comedy club who’s not drinking and missed the warmups. What's so fucking funny?

3 Comments:

At 8/15/2006 5:37 AM, Blogger Watson Woodworth said...

I did finally watch Repo Man after digging out the soundtrack.
Not only is it really good but it has a bit that ended up in The Celluloid Closet.

 
At 8/15/2006 9:57 AM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

Which scene is in "The Celluloid Closet"? I've never watched it all the way through....
and yes Repo Man is one of my all time favs, I'm so glad I could influence you for good instead of evil.

 
At 8/15/2006 5:29 PM, Blogger Watson Woodworth said...

Otto and Bud's first scene together "Hey kid wanna make ten bucks?" was in the homophobic epithets montage.
Just the idea of Susie Bright and Gore Vidal in the same documentary is great by me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home