Sunday Morning Subtle But Obvious Organized Self Abuse Swim Club

I have a lot of memories, I seem to not be able to shut up the monkey mind, I over analyze. I now get to do all that while learning to type.

Friday, October 05, 2007

Pink Blanket

When I was young I was one of those “blanket kids”. I didn’t however drag it around with me everywhere probably because it was twin sized. (Actually there were two, a set you know). But it did have the requisite silky edging and it needed to be somewhere in the bed at night. One reason being that it had particular monster blocking powers when placed over one’s head. It also had that particular “make you feel better when you are sick’ ability. It was both warmer and cooler than all other blankets.

Odd that it was the preferred blanket because I generally hate pink passionately. Nowadays all my bedclothes are in black, wine red, and pine green. The occasional gold or cream is allowed but never seems to last. I do have a yellow and blue summer quilt (in the “Yellow Brick Road” pattern) which to me is visually jarring but was made by the “Knight’s Ladies Quilting Club” who deemed me quiltworthy and totally honoured me with it. It’s a nice weight as well so it stays half the year.

But back to the deal with the pink blanket. It became a single word as in “Maaa didja washmuh pingblanget?” or “Maaa wersmuh pingblanget?” Oh “Maa”, the things you put up with. Well, perhaps she would like to know that her vengeance (whether intended or not) was effective. One day when I was 14 all pink blankets disappeared. Unacceptable. Even though at that point they had been relegated to folded up at the foot of the bed status, they were necessary to life. I completely freaked out. There was a raging three day argument. There were tears and accusations. There was the rending of the garbage cans to no avail. Pingblanget(s) was gone.

And I’m (apparently) still vaguely pissed about it. It’s times like these when I could stand a little bout of pingblanget comfort.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 10/05/2007 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter glommed onto a blue checked dish towel for some reason -- (maybe these things are imprinted while nursing?) -- it's a fairly common pattern so we were able to substitute when the real thing went missing, but it always turned up again, more tattered than the last time. We still have a fragment of the "true towel" as we called it. She sixteen now and lost interest in it long ago, though she still sleeps with her favorite stuffed animal, also a bit worse for wear. I wouldn't dream of taking something like that away from a child peremptorily, though some say stuff like that builds character. I guess we'll find out, though she seems to have quite a bit of character at the moment...

 
At 10/05/2007 1:32 PM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

My parents were pretty into the whole "do it according to Spock" thing so I suppose if he wasn't dead I'd have to kill him.

I can actually, totally see the blue checked towel in my head as I am betting I have one or two in my drawer.
Maybe I should give one a try.

 
At 10/05/2007 9:03 PM, Blogger Watson Woodworth said...

I got superstitious last December after hitting rock bottom (You heard me on the phone, I was drunk without the booze) and won't go anywhere without Rosie the Rivetter and, for some odd reason, a Canadian penny.
I think of that litle Rosie button as my shield. And I'm thirty five.

Mine was a three foot knit blanket my mum made in the late sixties. I hope my sister still has it.

 
At 10/06/2007 10:18 AM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

I am horribly superstitious. I have totems, icons and fetishes everywhere. I think some of it is OCD inspired. Those of us who have just a touch can just be fetishey. Those who are really up under it can't just be "eccentric" because it's all out on front street.

 
At 10/06/2007 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have special pingblanget objects laying around and in boxes filling the garage. sometimes i pretend that they're knickknacks. my wife knows better.
most of the stuff: i don't even remember what memory i was trying to grasp at by saving.

it's a minor ocd thing for sure. i also repeatedly check the stove and the door unless i stop myself.
a cupple of time tho, lately, my wife noticed that i
left the damn stove on after making tea.

I KNEW IT.

barry

 
At 10/06/2007 2:08 PM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

Ah. There's a device for that.
When you turn on the stove (or iron) say outloud "the stove is on" same when turning it off. Also the door, say "the door is locked" either when you lock it or check it.
Try it, it really helps me, especially when I feel compelled to get out of bed, yet again, and go around checking stuff.

 
At 10/07/2007 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i do that but not outloud. you know...

WHEN I REMEMBER TO.

barry

 

Post a Comment

<< Home