Sunday Morning Subtle But Obvious Organized Self Abuse Swim Club

I have a lot of memories, I seem to not be able to shut up the monkey mind, I over analyze. I now get to do all that while learning to type.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

On sammiches & secrets


I re-bonded with Bassman over our mutual love of peanut butter and butter sammiches. I’ve also been known to eat peanut butter and pickle sammiches.
Don’t cry over that, it’s far better than the bologna, velveeta and ketchup that were a childhood staple. Mom also used to make “Hot ham sandwiches” which were a sort of grilled hamwich with Cambell's tomato soup poured over them.
Then there were toastburgers, which I haven’t been able to reproduce, I think you need one of those counter griddles to successfully make them. Somehow you grill them with the bread on.

Then my Dad and I would sometimes sneak and make fried bologna when Mom wasn’t around. At some point she had decided that was just no good and tried to forbid it.

I had a baby-sitter who turned me on to liverwurst on rye with onion and mustard.
And there was a family legend that my uncles would eat onion and peach jam sammiches and that my Father ate so many once, that he was turned off of onions for years.

A real loss was my Mom’s Sloppy Joe recipe. It died with her. The secret ingredient was mustard but I can’t seem to re-create it.

I remember watching her making it once in Washington, D.C. We were visiting some friends of my Father’s named the House’s. I remember thinking that House was the weirdest family name ever. That was before I moved to AA and started hearing names like Schickelgruber.
Anyway, she put in sugar and mustard and told me not to tell anyone because mustard was the secret ingredient. What can I say? I was like, four, and of course at dinner I spilled the beans on it. I’ve just never been good at the secrets game.

In the meantime don’t forget our show on 12/17 and to listen to the Bottom 99 through that link on the right.

2 Comments:

At 11/30/2005 6:17 PM, Blogger Watson Woodworth said...

The butter keeps the peanut butter from sticking to the roof of your mouth.
Where will you be playing on the 17th?

 
At 11/30/2005 6:31 PM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

We're playing at the Berkley Front in beeyootiful downtown Berkley. Unless I have a heart attack from eating butter first.
You should come, I think you might dig it.
Sean Ike from the Elevations opens for us and we'll be doing 2 sets and be done by 1:00am
Cheap cover too, 3 bucks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home