Sunday Morning Subtle But Obvious Organized Self Abuse Swim Club

I have a lot of memories, I seem to not be able to shut up the monkey mind, I over analyze. I now get to do all that while learning to type.

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Bizactly

Well our friend UBU was right, the earworm 90’s are here.
Yesterday it was Danzig - 777 (circa 1990)
Today it’s Seal - Crazy (circa 1991)

I remember calling WCBN and requesting Danzig - Under Her Black Wings. Then being chastised on air by the DJ for asking her to play something so Satanic. And that she was absolutely refusing. Of course it’s Satanic, it’s Danzig for cripes sake, that’s his whole schtick.
But I guess we all have to draw our line in the sand somewhere. Mine is just that I won’t directly put money in his pocket. I’ll buy the stuff (rarely) used only. (I do have a fondness for Lucifuge for instance). It’s that voice. It’s just really, really, good. Rarely do you find such an amazing male singer. He just happens to use his for evil. Not the “Satan is my master” kind of evil. I could care less about that. One probably has to be or ever have been, an Xtian to get in a snit about that. My beef is that he exploits the disturbed children for monetary gain. And I have suspicions that he is likely to have even less discretion when it comes to sexual exploitation.

It is, I think, somewhat of an honour to be banned from WCBN. My band Skinflower, was, in the very late 80’s. We had a six song demo on which we did a cover of Carol King’s “He Hit Me”. (Phil Specter, of course, had picked it up and had the Crystals record it. Later, after we played with the very early incarnation of Babes In Toyland somehow Courtney Love ended up doing an eerily similar to ours version, go figure). Anyway apparently the radical feminist element down at the station have no sense of satire or humour at all. I also don’t think they had enough of an actual musical education to realize it was a cover. So they had our entire demo and us as an entity, banned. An honour indeed but not particularly helpful to our local career trajectory. That’s ok, we imploded due to severe personality conflicts a couple of years later anyway.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 1/21/2008 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah, danzig...

wanna laff yer ass-off?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-1mnit9lZl

big barry

 
At 1/22/2008 9:36 AM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

It wouldn't let me have it. Was it the one where he got punched out I went to check it out the other day but it wanted my login and I was too lazy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home