Sunday Morning Subtle But Obvious Organized Self Abuse Swim Club

I have a lot of memories, I seem to not be able to shut up the monkey mind, I over analyze. I now get to do all that while learning to type.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Remedies


As a counter agent to one type of trashy fiction, I picked up this, and some other trashy fiction at UBU’s, super cheap, book sale. I can no resist the 50 cent books.
(And no, troll, that was not a typo, grammatical error or whatev.)

This was a classic Harlequin. Some fairly chaste kissing and a lifelong, inescapable, romance culminating in an honourable proposal of marriage in less than a week. Set in a romantic location ( Bahamas for this one) with just a smitch of research on local customs, foodstuffs, and imports and exports thrown in for veracity.

I had to exclaim “Oh no she dit-int” when the British, dowager, Grand-mama made a comment about “packs of darkies”. This sent me scrabbling around the front of the book looking for copyright dates. Apparently, while it was first published as “Nurse Incognito” by Harlequin in ‘64, there was an earlier, hardback, version in Britain. Still one would think, since this was reissued under its current title in ‘73, someone would have pointed out that that simply isn’t done anymore.

Edit: I just had to teach spellchek “darkies”. I think my point has been proved.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 7/17/2008 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol! there wern't no fuckin
but the writer was a racist?

was the author pat buchanan?

hart
barry

 
At 7/17/2008 7:58 PM, Blogger Watson Woodworth said...

"Nurse Incognito" !!!
Que bueno.

 
At 7/18/2008 7:23 AM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

Arwulf always said "How can you know what's good, if you don't read trashy fiction?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home