Sunday Morning Subtle But Obvious Organized Self Abuse Swim Club

I have a lot of memories, I seem to not be able to shut up the monkey mind, I over analyze. I now get to do all that while learning to type.

Friday, January 09, 2009

When Potatoes Kill

As I was waking up, a miraculous thing was occurring, which was that Oliver was also awake. And we then got into a conversation which engendered this dialogue;
ME - “Oh, it never occurred to me to put harmonica into the same realm as oboe, bassoon, saxophone and clarinet”.
OB “That’s because it’s not”
ME “But you just said about reed instruments...”
OB “Yeah like that thing” (hand gesture)
ME “Accordion?”
OB “Yeah and that keyboard thing you have...
ME “Harmonium?”
OB “Yeah, and probably that little electric organ too”.
ME “Oh. But what about the fact that if you play a harmonica, and you have it all broke in good, that you move those things with your tongue?”
OB “That’s just air openings not the reeds”.
ME “Hmmm”.

Which brings us to the next question. Which is, if those are manipulatable air openings, then is one required to use an embouchure to play harmonica? And if so shouldn’t the music snobs be a little less smug about harmonica? And also if so, wouldn’t that put it back somewhere between organs and woodwinds? I know in the old days they did actually call it mouth organ but....
And another thing, embouchure was a word I had never seen, only heard. So all my life I had said it with an R, more like brochure, (if the C was an S). Then I read it the other day in Anthony Burgess’s autobiography. And I said to myself “Oh crap.” and “Duh” and “stupid, stupid girl” as all the millions of times I had mispronounced it went flashing in front of my eyes. This is my version of dying apparently, the embarrassment of unintentionally mangling the language.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 1/09/2009 8:47 AM, Blogger Watson Woodworth said...

So what's a kazoo then?
Does it's membrane make it a reed instrument?
Accordion sounds like harmonica so I'm tempted to think they're related.

 
At 1/09/2009 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wooosh...over MY head...

 
At 1/09/2009 7:16 PM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

Re our earlier convo about the pipes and the chanter on the bag, I think the chanter has a reed quite similar to a bassoon or oboe.

I don't know the answer to what a blown on membrane constitutes???

duhubu sounds like some kind of juju

 

Post a Comment

<< Home