Sunday Morning Subtle But Obvious Organized Self Abuse Swim Club

I have a lot of memories, I seem to not be able to shut up the monkey mind, I over analyze. I now get to do all that while learning to type.

Thursday, April 09, 2009

Lord I gots the vapours

I had a most unusual (for me) experience yesterday at work.
The track drapes in the front room were mussed and the folk asked me to try to fix that. So I got up and took a look, and determined that the hooks on two of the folds were out of the little plastic part of the track. Incidentally I absolutely HATE those kind of curtains. Why oh why do we need to make something as simple as a piece of fabric mechanical? You will never find those in any house I live in, ever!

Anyway, I had to go behind the curtains to try to fix that. That’s when I realized I was dizzy with the kind of dizziness one gets occasionally from standing up too fast. I was talking it through, that I felt dizzy, that I was going to wait a second, then I would reach up again, get dizzy again, all the while still talking about what I was experiencing.

Suddenly I heard a whooshing noise, then a loud a loud clunk, only realizing when my head started to hurt that it had been my head hitting the floor. I was really confused as to how the floor had reached up and smacked me in the head. I sat up and I seemed trapped in some weird cave of white light, white walls and white curtains. I was trying to fight my way out of miles of unending dusty curtains. I was quite disoriented.

I finally got disentangled. I could see the nice, normal, living room. But man did I feel surreal. Poor Mrs. Folk was pretty wigged out. She has pretty severe verbal difficulty due to Alzheimer's so she was having a lot of trouble expressing her discomfiture. Old Mr. Folk seemed to take it pretty philosophically however. Eventually we laughed and laughed, Mrs. Folk and I. Probably because it made her extremely nervous, and aside from the surreal feeling I continued to have for a couple hours, I was really terribly embarrassed. So what to do but laugh?.

I find it odd that embarrassment was the overweening sensation. How could one possibly find anything embarrassing about something as unexpected and uncontrolled as fainting? But that is exactly what I felt, kind of stupid, clumsy, and idiotic. Embarrassment, what a strange, social construct. In retrospect I realize that I spend an awful lot of time either feeling or reliving it. And I hear it’s even worse in some other cultures. I sure wish there was a pill for that.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 4/09/2009 3:16 PM, Blogger Watson Woodworth said...

Is some cultures (including ours minus 300 years) you could have winded up in the dock for witchcraft.

Making one's self faint seems like lousy magic though.

 
At 4/09/2009 9:29 PM, Blogger el poquito said...

actually stell, one of my favorite of those pharmaceutical commercials is one for 'social anxiety' - I forget the name, but the gist of the commercial is shot after shot of individuals closed up in their house with the drapes pulled, looking all freaked out, stuck on the couch with their favorite snacks and their dog/cat at their side. (this could have been any given day around my place many a winter day) Anyway, next, after the magic pill they are all of course, out shopping, smiling, having lunch with a friend. now they're out in the park playing frisbee with the dog. In the background you hear the soft-voiced female voice-over listing all the various possible side-effects. the one that is the VERY BEST, is the little possible side effect of : "May cause anal leakage."

Anal Leakage! Anal Leakage! Now what exactly is this going to do for my social anxiety if I'm ridin' the bus say, and all of a sudden my anus starts leaking!? I just really don't think this is going to help.

Really? Anal leakage is the possible trade-off. I dunno. I have to be mighty desperate and exhausted every other possible option.

Commercial is great for a laugh though, which revs up my endorphins, which then increases the likelihood of me opening up the drapes. But then, apparently that can be a dangerous activity now!

Perhaps they should just remain closed. Where's the ice cream?

You be careful livin' that wild and dangerous life you have!

xo-el

 
At 4/10/2009 1:40 PM, Anonymous PublicUBU#1 said...

Think of it from a criminal perspective: only two witnesses and they'll be dead soon...

 
At 4/11/2009 7:53 PM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

Yes I've given up on cheap witchcraft and (I hate to say it) have resorted to Ativan and only spending any meaningful time with people over the age of eighty. This saves me the trouble of risking anal leakage and so I only have to deal with the old lady version (and that sleeping dog needs to be let lie).

WV: slincy. That would be my slickness in responding to three comments in one fell swoop.

 
At 4/11/2009 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have moxie.

barry

w.ver: unces

add an s and it's an excess of uncles.

 
At 4/11/2009 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

or a cross dressing transexual uncle

if you add an s, that is.

barry

w. ver boger

one g short of a nose gremlin.

 
At 4/11/2009 11:47 PM, Blogger Watson Woodworth said...

Moxie should be bottled.
But I fear the Public Square would suffer from excess Moxification.

W.V. "Quatic"
This would be more suitable for a more nautical post.

 
At 4/12/2009 12:50 PM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

One might think an Unces would be the failure to bring bring Moxie cola out of the '40s and into the 21st century.
Whereas my WV - radas is one s short of telling me both how tough and superamazing awesome I am.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home