Sunday Morning Subtle But Obvious Organized Self Abuse Swim Club

I have a lot of memories, I seem to not be able to shut up the monkey mind, I over analyze. I now get to do all that while learning to type.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Poetry on the fly

I’m going to give you some examples over the next little while of some stuff I wrote recently at my school poetry club. The exercises are to just write on the fly with something like a picture or a list of words or a particular topic as the starting point. I think he said these exercises are from a book about the Iowa Writers Workshops. So these are raw and unedited (much). Unlike my usual stuff that I have sweated over and rewritten sometimes for 20 years or more.......

On pictures of the back fence

I will plant a trellis rose
Will mirror tendrils of my hair
When July blooms have come to bear
I’ll keep just one to wear

This time I’ll take the time for earth
For crumbling leaf moulds in my hand
For troweling compost into sand
Inhale the rich breath of the land

This year I will not stint
To give myself such moments
Which calm my hectic torments
Just are, not needing comment

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 3/23/2007 5:48 AM, Blogger Linda Diane Feldt said...

I like the crumbling leaf moulds line very much. Great imagery.

 
At 3/23/2007 9:41 AM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

When we read them out in the group I think the kids got a little baffled at "leaf moulds". Also they all are into this free write, word salad, stuff so they were also odded out at the idea of writing couplets off the cuff.
Not enough Seussical training I suspect.

 
At 3/23/2007 1:31 PM, Blogger Linda Diane Feldt said...

They have also probably never picked up compost and leaf mold and felt how it holds a shape in your hand and is no longer leaf.

It can't be evocative if you've never initially uh, been voked? you know, experienced.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home