Sunday Morning Subtle But Obvious Organized Self Abuse Swim Club

I have a lot of memories, I seem to not be able to shut up the monkey mind, I over analyze. I now get to do all that while learning to type.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Several recent AM earworms

A few days ago on one of those nice mornings I woke up and my brain actually immediately said “woke up it was a Chelsea morning and the first thing that I heard”.
Joni Mitchell’s version of course. That’s pretty much an ultimate am earworm.
Then yesterday or the day before it was Donovan’s “Ferris Wheel” which is one of my favourite all time songs. Today it was the J. Geils Band doing “Detroit Break Down”.

All of which seems to give rise to a theory that my earworm generator really needs to have heard the song like a million times to put it in the hopper. It is very rare for it to pop out anything later than the eighties and if it does it is something we’ve listened to a whole lot. I could see it potentially using Rufus Wainright or the Eels or Dead Meadow or some evil jingle. But it seems to like the ones that I have worn a deep groove into either by design or by dint of early FM radio overexposure.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 4/06/2007 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here, hear -- Donovan is SO underrated!

-- UBU

 
At 4/06/2007 4:17 PM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

He usually is in the world at large but here he is venerated as one of my early singing (and probably songwriting) mentors.

Although I was able to turn a young folk on to the not played on oldies radio, side of Donovan recently and the experience would have been completely sublime had I just had a digital version of "Sunny Goodge Street" to round out the collection I gave him.
To this day my brother doesn't believe me when I tell him the line goes " and the violent hash smoker shook a chocolate machine". Now why would I lie about that?

 
At 4/07/2007 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I aways thought he said Hurdy Gurdy Heidegger at one point in the song...

 
At 4/07/2007 9:20 PM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

OK I'll have to admit I had to look that up.
I'm pleased to see that I was at least on the right track in thinking it was "some philosophy dude".
(I'll cheerfully admit I have troubles reading the thick stuff.)

But I just love me some wikipedia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home