Sunday Morning Subtle But Obvious Organized Self Abuse Swim Club

I have a lot of memories, I seem to not be able to shut up the monkey mind, I over analyze. I now get to do all that while learning to type.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Psuedo-Snobbery

Well, perhaps not so psuedo, it’s actually pretty straight up.
I have been thinking recently about the phrase “pseudo-intellectual”. I have to say that a primary failing in this epithet is that unless it’s hurled at me by, say, a street person or maybe someone who has worked at Ford’s for 20 years straight out of high school or something similar, it loses much veracity. Someone from U-M calling me a pseudo-intellectual is pretty much like me calling someone a heifer.

Secondarily, I think someone who would use it in the pejorative sense has probably just spent too much time in a university town. The kind of place where people are sadly bright enough to level an insult that is pretty much saying “how dare you attempt to think”. Yep, happy enough to reap the financial rewards of the bidness of higher education, all those lovely monies accrued from people attempting, theoretically, to think, (but perhaps, more likely, to be merely trying to guarantee a specific income level if I’m any judge), but if that person doesn’t think like they’re “spozed”* to, they’re really just a mere pseudo-thinker. That is so laughable. If you translate it into that very language, “oh, you are just an incorrigible psuedo-thinker” the ridiculousness and pindickery of it suddenly becomes apparent and I will hazard a guess that the motivation becomes fairly transparent.

So what is it then that qualifies one as having the bona fides? The actual living, breathing, tower of power, pinnacle-ness of intellect? It simply can’t, please tell me you don't, have the unmitigated nerve, to measure it by a degree. Because I’ll have one soon, neither of my house mates has one, and thank God, for once, everyone in the house is naturally smarter, and far kinder, than I am. So that would be an invalid and therefore unsound, argument.

Myself, I actually prefer people who make the attempt, be it ever so feeble, to think.
As well as that thing His Holiness says about how “his religion is kindness?” Yah, I think you could be dumb as dirt and probably be far better off well on, down that road.

So I will herein make a vow: That having racked my brain and not being able to recall any instance where I have called anyone either a pseudo-intellectual or a heifer, I will dearly attempt to continue to not use those two particular, hypocritical, epithets in my future life. However because I am, not so very kind in my heart of hearts, I will probably continue to call a spade a spade, and a snob a snob.

* “The Way It Spozed To Be” James Herndon

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 3/18/2008 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, well ... may I comment on your completely(!) off-base response? The primary point of my "pseudo-intellectual" description of you, and more accurately your website "writing", was to point out the hypocrisy in your February comment where you went on and on criticizing the word "douche" being misspelled by so many people today. You seemed to have some advanced handle on the intricacies of spelling, and I had to respond to you back in March because you had misspelled and continue to misspell so many obviously basic words, with nary a thought to the (again obvious)hypocrisy.

Case in point: on March 16th, some garbage "writing" (and I must use the word writing in quotes!) of yours had two (TWO!) instances of the word "it's" used instead of its. In the first 10 lines of your meandering prose(?), two examples make no English or grammatical sense (e.g, "it's sustenance ...")should read "its sustenance ..." instead. Using "it's" is a very common error today by many, but disappointing by someone who posts diatribes on others' misspellings and (sadly) thinks of herself in past postings as a "writer" of musical lyrics and god forbid, some sort of
"creative" "writer".

THIS HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH DEGREES, EDUCATION, COLLEGE, U-M, INCOME, SNOBBERY, OR ANYTHING
OF THE SORT. It is an example that so many people (especially you!) have of pointing out others' failings (misspellings just one example) and turning around and doing the EXACT SAME THING mere moments later. I am guessing you may never have learned (or cared to learn) the difference between "it's" and "its", so let me enlighten you and perhaps some of your many "educated" "writer" friends. "It's" has always been and always will be a CONTRACTION or abbreviation of "It is". Never to be confused with "its". For example, the sentence "It's going to rain tomorrow" would not make sense if spelled "Its going to rain tomorrow." The sentence "It is going to rain tomorrow" can clearly be substituted for "It's going to rain tomorrow." Using the word "its" here makes no sense. The word "its" is the possessive form of "it" and is never, ever a contraction or abbreviation for anything. The proper use of "its" can be found in the sentence: "The dog found its bone under the blanket." The word "its" is a pronoun possessive
for the noun "dog" and modifies the dog's bone. Try substituting the word "it's" here and you should see the absurdity or laziness in interchanging these two words. "The dog found it's bone ..." should be able to be interchanged with "The dog found it is bone", if we could write out the contraction of "it is". Alas, no can do.

This example/explanation has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with "snobbery" or somehow being involved with "U-M". For you to assume that is where I (or anyone responding to your comments) is coming from because of the word "pseudo-intellectual" being used shows a disappointingly limited mind and imagination. I happened to learn the difference between "it's and "its" in 3rd grade (honest!) and somehow have not forgotten it since. Maybe because I have a true appreciation for the English language and ITS correct usage, spelling, grammar, and all.

Call me crazy, I believe in being true to myself and others. As I get older (and maybe wiser?), I am sure of very little but I am very sure of my ability to "write" and communicate via the English language. Case in point: please try and find any instance of misspelling, poor grammar, even poor written communication skill. These are not subjective criticisms. Last time I checked, the English language still has basic agreed-upon standards. They simply may not be taught now or valued at EMU, at many elementary, middle, or high schools or perhaps even (god forbid!) at The University of Michigan.

One final comment: just because someone uses a "U-M" computer or U-M website does not mean that they are necessarily affiliated in any way with the University or somehow have a "college degree". It is simply a matter of geography
or having proximity to the campus area. Not that it is even relevant for our electronic exchange today, but I do NOT have a college degree, I do not attend the University of Michigan, and I actually have been (fairly recently, in fact) a "street person"; homeless, staying at the Delonis Shelter in Ann Arbor briefly, and being as close to the bottom of humanity as you can possibly imagine. Again, not relevant for any discussion of intellect, language, education or the like, don't you think?

Never wise to assume anything about anyone, I feel, unless you know someone VERY, VERY WELL. You have no clue about me, my background, where I'm coming from or where I'm headed. You know only, based on my comments tonight, that I may have some basic skill at written communication and I am not afraid to make my point as clearly as possible. I have never been afraid to admit I am wrong (about anything) or learn from someone's honest (and often constructive) criticism of myself. I sincerely doubt you can say the same.

 
At 3/19/2008 1:28 AM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

Hmm, perhaps you should get a job as a teacher, then you could likely afford a sense of humour. I’m sure you could become very relevant in the urban legends of small children’s nightmares.
Meanwhile, when I don’t like someone’s personal blog/writing I mostly just wander away. You should try it.
So, who’s up for another scintillating lecture on grammar?

 
At 3/19/2008 7:10 AM, Blogger Watson Woodworth said...

As a former EMU student (several years ago) I just have to say "Hey!".

Also, what is this, a grammar jihad or something?
There's nothing more interesting to think about?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home