Sunday Morning Subtle But Obvious Organized Self Abuse Swim Club

I have a lot of memories, I seem to not be able to shut up the monkey mind, I over analyze. I now get to do all that while learning to type.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Strange Days





I was cruisin down 94 yesterday. It was a gorgeous March day. Lizardbreath and I had Marvin Gaye Trouble Man and my super soul collection on the stereo and I had that feeling I get about Detroit SO STRONG, the hairs on my neck kept rising and falling, rising and falling.

Detroit is some kind of symbol and pain in my heart. Ever since I was a kid every time I would ride down that stretch of 94 I would get the same feeling in various intensities depending on how open or closed I was at the time.

I remember back in the day, driving down there in an old dark blue and orange Thunderbird with Seychelle. We’d be listening to WJZZ and as I started seeing those backsides of the burnt, huddled houses mixed with the urban, lonely jazz I would just feel so funny, like an ache and a yearn and a dread in my heart, until we would get down to the Cass Corridor which at the the time was still alive and teeming, albeit with mostly the weird, the motley and the dangerous swarms of predators and parasites. Now it’s pretty much picked clean and it seems like only the very last descendants of the most diehard scarabs are left searching for sustenance and crouched in the doorways.

And always I keep wondering what that weird feeling is, and why and where it comes from. Today I think it’s about an extraordinary death. The people, they come and go and live and die, but they live under social goals, dreams and visions that shape the centuries around them.
I’m starting to think, that the slow death of Detroit for the last 40 years, has sent it’s ghost tentacling out ahead of it, reaching down 94 and 696 and 275 year by year and that it’s the hungry ghost of those dying dreams that’s always nuzzling at the nape of my neck begging for “just that little corner, just a little taste” of still living flesh.

4 Comments:

At 3/05/2006 7:47 AM, Blogger Watson Woodworth said...

When we left Arrowwood in late '78 after a few bounces we ended up in Roseville at the I94/I696 interchange before 696 was open.
Back then 16 mile was considered 'out there'. Now 23 mile is totally built up.
I'm now at 19 mile what must have been fields in '78 and I muss the character of things built before I was born.
I'm about Michiganed out.

 
At 3/05/2006 1:47 PM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

I just saw wacky pictures of some kind of public square pillowfight in Portland, OR.
Its on Rich Mackin's Live Journal.
Can you even imagine such a thing here?
I can just see the headlines -
"6 shot when community pillowfight turns deadly"

 
At 3/05/2006 6:33 PM, Blogger Stella Magdalen said...

I just ran across this also-

"I am sure this has all been mentioned here before, but Portland, Oregon has a very ingenious city design plan modeled on a hub-and-spoke approach (I am not a city planner, so I am sure there is a more elegant way of describing it). The downtown is the hub with all transportation leading into and out of the city center (light rail, bike paths, boulevards for more serious traffic). The financial district, great restaurants, retail, etc exist downtown and the city is full of folks all during the day and night. The city neighborhoods are supported by “main streets” and “town centers” which support the more daily needs of residents (dry cleaning, food shopping, coffeeshops, parks, etc). The standard that the folks at the city used to talk about was the “orange juice test”…if you had to get in your car to go get orange juice on a Sunday morning, then there was something amiss with the city planning. Portland also has (or had, I haven’t lived there in 5 years) an urban growth boundary, a progressive greenspaces planning program, and some of the best affordable housing planning I have ever seen. The newly developed parts of downtown fall into the “expensive and not totally family friendly” category, but are better than many larger cities.

Portland was a wreck of a city 20 years ago. Developers wanted to level all of the beautiful old buildings that made it unique and put up nasty trammel crow cookie cutters (there are some there, shudder.). But Bill Naito, a very smart (and brave) man, led the campaign to make retrofitting the city’s old building stock and marrying it with a vision of a more healthy, liveable city a priority for the city. The result is a city that appreciates it’s heritage but lives in the reality of changing dynamics of life for its residents. It seems to me that it doesn’t have to be one way or the other for A2."
posted by Transplant on March 5th, 2006 at 9:53 am (On AAIO - Ann Arbor Is Overrated)

 
At 3/08/2006 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh Nigel and Stella, I am ancient enough (and also a 1969 graduate of L'Anse Creuse High School, the district that encompasses the east side of 19 mile, up through 23 mile roads in Macomb County) and I assure you that farm lands was all there was on 19 mile road in the 1960's and 70's. Well, almost all there was. My grandparents on my adopted father's side lived in a river house (Clinton River) with a couple acres-- not a farm, just land along side the water. People cobbled together whatever they had and tried to find pretty places to settle down.
cheers
lizard breath

 

Post a Comment

<< Home